Five Easy Ways to Help Prevent Slips, Trips, and Falls
Slip and fall accidents can happen in an instant – but the consequences can linger for years or even be fatal. Falls are particularly dangerous for older Americans, ranking as the number one cause of death for Americans 65 and older and sending over 8.9 million people to the emergency room in 2011 alone.
Experienced Texas slip and fall accident attorneys recommend that families take simple steps to help protect themselves and others from the dangers of a slip and fall accident. Here are five easy ways to help reduce the risk of a slip and fall injury in your own home:
- Clean up spills immediately. Food, liquids, and even dry items spilled on the floor can increase the risk of a slip and fall. Warn family members to stay off freshly-mopped floors until they are dry.
- Declutter your home. Keep books, papers, shoes, toys, and other items out of walkways. Encourage family members to put their things away as soon as they’re done using them. Not only does this help reduce the risk of tripping, it also makes your favorite items easy to find when you want them again.
- Use non-skid mats and grab bars in showers, tubs, and bathrooms. Make sure throw rugs don’t slide or skid on hard floors – choose rugs with rubber backings, or add a non-skid mat beneath them.
- Make sure there is proper lighting in all indoor and outdoor areas of your home. Many falls result when a person cannot see a hazard in their path.
- Take care of your health. Exercise to keep your core strength and balance in good working order. Get your eyes checked, since vision problems can reduce your chances of seeing a hazard in your path.
The accomplished Waco personal injury attorneys at Williams & Brown LLP want to remind you to remember to look before you step and address hazards immediately before they can do any harm.
Leveling the Playing Field (0:50) See All Videos
“If my husband or I had any problems, we could call them day or night. They always made sure we knew what was going on.”